[NSRCA-discussion] Bearing tip for OS 1.40 RX

Koenig, Tom Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au
Sun Jul 2 19:49:46 AKDT 2006

Hi Guys,
Please dont take this the wrong way and I dont want to rain on your parade-but...

I dont think it's as simple as what you say. May I ask why you are pouring castor oil in there? ( OK I know why..but...)
I have seen/experienced symptoms like you describe-but generally in motors where the set-up parameters may not be optimal. Ie; pipe too short and prop too big and no crankcase cooling, wronfg fuel and compression ratio.

No crankcase cooling can cause the pump to get too hot and boil fuel. This shows up as all sorts of symptoms and genarally causes havoc. Also, if that engine is getting too hot whatever castor you have left in there will burn, perhaps causing a varnish build up and the rest is history.

However all bearings will wear and the big 2 strokes usually let you know when the idle suddenly turns to custard. Then you must immediately change bearings.

Check over all possibilities-the Japaneses usually know what they are doing ( and if they dont-they'll never admit anyway) but down here, all the OS's run perfectly once the set-ups are correct.Having said that -expect to change bearings every 50-100 flights depending on climatic conditions.

Ofcourse I place a caveat on this- I use a YS <VBG>

Good luck and best regards

Tom