[NSRCA-discussion] Trimming question

John Pavlick jpavlick at idseng.com
Fri Jan 27 19:28:40 AKST 2006

Ok here's a good one. The owner of the L.H.S. asked me what I thought about
this and I couldn't come up with a good answer. He has a Hangar 9 Ugly
Stik - the real big one. I can't remember exactly what it's called. Guess it
has a gas motor in it. It's big. He says he has it trimmed so it will fly
inverted with just a very slight bit of down elevator (almost none). Ok, so
it's not nose heavy, maybe even a little tail heavy. Now, when he flies it
knife edge (either side) it pulls severely to the canopy. I mean like it
will fly a complete circle. It needs almost 3/4 down elevator to fly
straight. It's beyond a mix - fix. He also says that it has a bit of roll
couple when flying level (not knife edge) but it doesn't pitch severely up
or down under these conditions. Any thoughts? I guess you can rule out C.G.
because if anything it should pull to the belly considering how it's trimmed
to fly level upright and inverted. I haven't flown it so I can't add too
much more. He builds OK so I don't think there's anything way out of
alignment, but again I haven't seen it yet so maybe there is. What should I
look for if I get my hands on it to try and help him?

John Pavlick
http://www.idseng.com