[NSRCA-discussion] CA for foamies

Russ Little russlittle at mac.com
Thu Jan 26 17:56:51 AKST 2006

More on foam glue from the March 2006 Fly RC Magazine p70 Indoor
Runways column by Thayer Syme _ thayers at flyrc.com

"FOAMHESIVE
A lot of people use foam-safe CA on foam aircraft because of the near
instant bonding. Others favor a thin film of 5-minute epoxy. The
problem with both of these choices is that they cure much harder than
the surrounding foam. This creates a stress concentration that
actually weakens the assembly.

Recognizing these shortcomings, Eddie Noble of Nikitas Aircraft
approached some industrial chemists and came up with a solution.
Foamhesive is a fast-acting contact adhesive that was specifically
formulated for use with Depron foam. Foamhesive joints remain
flexible and strong. The new adhesive allows stresses to be
transferred across the joints, rather than focussing the energy into,
and breaking down, the foam beside the glue.

Though not as fast as CA and kicker, you can build stronger and quite
rapidly with Foamhesive. It is also much faster and neater than
working with epoxy. Simply spread a thin film on each side of the
joint, let it air dry for about a minute, then press the parts
together. Foamhesive is relatively light, and any slop can be rolled
of the foam and your hands for quick clean up. Foamhesive has become
my favorite choice for foam models and is available exclusively from
Billy Hell RC." Charming name. What follows is the blurb from their
website:

http://www.billyhellrc.com/foamhesive.html

"FOAMHESIVE GLUE - $4.00 - 1 once bottle -

“Foamhesive” is scientifically engineered for laminating foam to
foam, foam to wood, foam to CF and more. The great thing about
Foamhesive is that the drying time is short. Foamhesive creates a
bond that is flexible and NOT stiff. This creates a joint that is
much stronger than one created by foam safe CA.
To use Foamhesive all you have to is run a bead of glue on one side
of your two parts, adhere both pieces together and then separate.
This activates the glue. Let your parts stand for 10 to 30 seconds
then join the parts together. Glue will instantly join parts together.

The trick to wrapping carbon fiber around a tapered leading edge is:
Apply glue to the leading edge, apply the carbon fiber to the piece
with glue and then pull it apart. Let the two pieces set 15 or 20
seconds. The final step is to apply the carbon fiber to one side
first and tape, then the middle and tape, and then the other side and
tape. Leave the tape in place.

You can sand Foamhesive to a degree but it will gum your sandpaper
since it is a rubber based compound. The only storage requirements
are to keep out of high heat and sunlight."

Russ Little
Sydney