[NSRCA-discussion] tips

George Kennie geobet at gis.net
Thu Jan 26 09:54:00 AKST 2006

Oh, that wonderful Concept paint!!!!!!!!!!!!  32.5o at my house this
morning, but I had to get my new canopy painted. Temp in the paint
room was 48o so I just went ahead anyway. I think that I might have
added a little more than recommended DU-5, but the stuff went on
fabulously and dried very quickly without turning on the booth
heater.Went back a half hour later and applied the fade. Came out
excellently. Everything wetted out at almost the same time
eliminated the need for any clearcoat.
Oh, 'nuther thing. I usually make fillets around the fuse/stab joint
using NHP 12 min. epoxy and Sig Microballoons. Well, on the current
application, both surfaces are monokoted, but I still wanted to
fillet the gap, but I wasn't all that thrilled about the two step
process of putting on the filler and waiting for it to cure and then
going back to paint the filler material to match the covering, so I
got the bright idea of tinting the filler to match.I just happened
to have a bag full of Universal Tints down cellar somewhere, so I
went scouting and sure enough I found a tint that sounded like it
might work. I had some reservations whether or not it would affect
the catalization process of the epoxy so I tested a batch and it
seemed O.K.  so I went ahead and did it and the results, while not
perfect, are acceptable. The amount of tint required is extremely
small, like half the size of a BB, so I think that is probably why
the cure appears to be unaffected. This particular application is
not that critical regarding appearance, but it might not be a bad
idea on higher quality finishes as it would require less paint to
cover and future scratches would be less prone to show through.
Just thought I'd share for any who might find it useful.
Georgie