[NSRCA-discussion] I give up -- almost new Webra 160 AAR aero with MC carb for sale

David Flynt dflynt at verizon.net
Sat Jan 21 14:40:58 AKST 2006

Let me first say to those who have achieved success with this engine -- you
are intellectually superior, and you have magnitudes more patience than I.

I tried over three long days to get this engine running, and on the ground I
thought I had this thing running quite well.  It turns a 15.5x12 APC 4-blade
at 8000 rpm, brand new, at a rich setting, with 1/2 tank run through it.  It
has enormous power and compression.  Too much compression in my opinion.  I
can barely turn it over with a gear reduced starter.  For me, it does not
hand start easily with a chicken stick, although the first day I had it
starting by backing up the prop against compression, when everything seemed
just right.  It takes a strong glow to start this engine, especially when
you are setting it up for the first time, as the low end tends to be quite
rich.

I studied material and seeked advice on how to set up and adjust this
engine.  I spent a lot of time getting the linkage just right, and then
proceeded with care through the points on the throttle/mixture settings.  It
seems straightforward once you understand the concepts, but on both trim
flights, it died rich not long after takeoff.  Today it died rich at about
20 feet altitude, and the landing in brush should have ruined my brand new
ZNline Supreme.  It should have at least ripped my landing gear off, tore a
wing off, dented or cracked something.  Somehow it hit a patch of grass in a
three-point attitude, and came out unharmed except for a minor tear in the
gear pant.  Unbelieveable luck.

After missing the Phoenix contest this weekend because of my troubles, I
decided last weekend that I was not going to keep this engine.  I bought an
OS 140rx to replace it, because an engine like the Webra, although
sophisticated and well made, is too complicated for me.  I need something
that is easy to start and adjust.  I think perhaps one of my problems is
that the engine could be moving around too much on the soft mount.  Perhaps
I have it set too rich on one or more of the mix points, or I need to spend
more time with this engine.  Actually, I think if I spent another day with
this engine, I could get it running, but I have lost patience.  Whatever is
causing my trouble, I want to be up front with the reason I am selling.  I
ran the webra today to give it one last chance, but I also wanted to get it
running to know that it is suitable for sale on this list.  There is nothing
wrong with this engine in the hands of a patient, capable person.  It
certainly has power to spare.

It is a shame I invested so much into this engine, and I did not get to
enjoy the performance.  However, I am just glad that I did not ruin my
plane.  Oh, there was no crankshaft damage during the off runway landing,
and no debris in the engine.  I think it is a good engine if you know how to
run it.

Here is what I have for a discounted price (buyer pays actuall shipping
cost.  I will package with care):

1 Webra 160 AAR aero with M/C carb.  Has 1/2 gallon of cool power 15%
through it.  Original box, all manuals, decals, prop washer, -- complete.
Near new, has only been run over the last two weeks.  $375.00

2 Koyo Stainless steel rear bearings for this engine.    These are are very
nice bearings.  $12.00 each

1 tappered collet, new - $3.50

1 ring, new $22.00

1 bag (6 pieces) wrist pin clips, new $2.00

1 piston, new $35.00

Regards,

David Flynt