[NSRCA-discussion] E Stuff

George Miller glmiller3 at cox.net
Sat Jan 21 10:20:34 AKST 2006

I, too, am relatively new to the E-learning curve.  I've learned a lot in the last few months, though.  There is a huge difference between a 2 or 3 cell foamy or micro-heli set-up and the 10s4p set-ups most are flying the "big stuff" with.  The most important thing I've learned is that you can't just "eyeball" these set-ups....the dynamics of airplane weight, wing area, voltage, prop size and motor are much more complex and demanding than a typical 2 or 4 cycle set-up.

I fried an ESC trying to "home brew" a set up based on general specifications from a web-site.  It turns out I was pulling about 180 amps when the ESC turned into a torch!<G>  The good news is that there are plenty of reliable sources of information out there- it just takes some time to figure out where and who they are.

I've been playing around with foamies and micro heli electrics for the past year or so, then I saw Nat Penton fly his Voodoo as an electric, and after talking to him about it, I decided to try a "big sized" pattern project.I had a Focus II kit sitting on the shelf, so I built it and "bashed" it into an electric --powered with a standard package-- Plettenberg 30-10, future 33.55 ESC and 22X10 APC-E; 2X  5s4p TP5300 packs in series.  One flight with that baby, and I was SOLD!  No noise but the wind on the wings and prop, unlimited vertical power and no vibration at all.  I don't have to mess with headers, engine tuning, fuel, oil, carburetors, valves, etc.

I'm so convinced that e-power is the wave of the future, that I'm converting everything I have to electric- so that I won't have to carry two complete sets of support equipment to the field for a day of flying. I've converted my Raptor 50 to the Xero-G electric, I'm replacing my Vigor/Vibe with an Ion electric, and I've converted my Showtime and Funtana to electric.  My old YS 140 powered FocusII is also being transformed into an electric backup for the E-FocusII .

Icare-rc.com and hobby-lobby.com are both excellent resources in my experience...as a french canadian company, Icare seems a little more expensive and I have a little bit of a language barrier when talking to Etienne there.  Hobby Lobby is based near Nashville, TN and has been around forever (at least since I was a kid growing up in Memphis).  I have been pleased with their recommendations so far.

Something that I've tried to do is limit the number of cell types that I need for different models.  I have 3s1p packs for small stuff like foamies and micro-helis-- then I have 5s4p packs which can be used as singles for mid sized (traditional 40 to 60 ) planes and as series pairs for 2 meter and large helicopter applications.

I hope that the TP1010 chargers are great -  I use them with the TP balancers.....though I am not sure what all is going on as they charge.  The balancers come with sketchy instructions at best and when used with the chargers there are occasional errors on the 1010 when used with the balancer --like "wrong number of cells" even though the cell count entered is correct and the balancer alone says the cells are balanced; and (especially toward the end of the charge cycles) the balancers start beeping and chiming and flashing lights.  I hope that they are doing what they are supposed to do, but the documentation is scant.  I have not used them to charge packs in series!  I have enough noise charging them as singles!<G>

The old Astro 109's are simple and seem adequate for the job, but don't make a lot of noise<G>.

A wattmeter of some type also seems to be essential ...whether it is a watt's up type inline meter or a clamp on wattmeter.  As I found out by taosting an ESC- you have to test the current drain of each set-up-- you can't just "see how it flies" like you can with a combustion engine.

Sorry If I've gotten too long winded...I've been a little frustrated by the lack of condensed, easily accessible information so I think that this thread may be the beginning of a much needed resource!

George