[NSRCA-discussion] (no subject) How's this?

Richard Strickland richard.s at allied-callaway.com
Fri Jan 20 14:14:17 AKST 2006

I had a kind of interesting experience the other day.  I used to keep a (full scale) Bellanca Viking at the KC Downtown Airport--close to our facility--and made a habit of grabbing a sandwich, go pet the airplane, go to the bank, and head back to work.  I sold the airplane early(thankfully) 2001--but kept the habit. I was sitting there Wed. about noon, looked up and this Citation was moving at about 100mph toward the South end(where I was situated off to the east).  I thought momentarily that he was departing--realized he was trying to stop and---holy crap!----no runway left!  He finally stood on the brakes and stopped in a cloud of gravel and smoke about 15' fron the south fence.  He evidently lost an engine on a two mile final, landed a little hot and evidently didn't have the use of his reverser(s).  It became a non-event except I'm sure he got a lot of FOD, the seat needed cleaning and a brake job was in order.

RS