[NSRCA-discussion] Electric Power Consumption

George Miller glmiller3 at cox.net
Tue Jan 10 18:20:29 AKST 2006

I have a problem with an electric conversion which while not precisely pattern related, I'm sure will be applicable to electric pattern problems...so I'll ask it here.

I am trying to convert a Showtime from YS 110 4 cycle power to electric power.  After looking around the web, I got an Actro 32-3 - which is a popular motor for the Ion electric helicopter.  I know that this motor runs well with available ESC's on 5S4P lithium packs, so I set it up with a 17X12 APC e prop and a 77amp ESC from Hobby Lobby  ( esc and prop recommended on their website).    To make a long story short, the ESC litterally burned up 30 seconds into the first flight....but BOY WHAT POWER for that 30 seconds<G>!!!

OK, so I'm thinking that burning up probably indicates a problem.....and I start to investigate...I hook up a watts-up to my Focus II with a Plettenberg 30-10 and a 21X12 APC and it pulls about 65 amps at full throttle on the bench....Then I set up the Showtime and it tops 75 amps at half throttle!! HMMM, so there is the problem....Now I try to make changes to decrease the amperage -- larger prop and smaller prop---no major change, then I tried just using a 5 cell pack cutting voltage in half...still about the same....so the question is:  How do you adjust the current drawn by an electric motor?  Can this set up be salvaged...Where did I go wrong and how can I avoid this in the future?

TIA for your help and the benefit of your experience!

George