[NSRCA-discussion] JR Stuff, Where made?

jeffghughes at comcast.net jeffghughes at comcast.net
Tue Jan 10 03:42:57 AKST 2006

Ed,
My point was irrespective of where a product is actually assembled, most have significant components that were manufactured overseas. It is a true global economy here in the US. We get our conrods from India, crankshafts from brazil and blocks from Germany. Our FEA's are now done in India. We do final assembly here in the states. GM is the same, a good percentage of any GM car is manufactured offshore. And be careful about looking down your nose at foreign quality. We get product from China and India that is every bit as good as what we used to get from the US.

Now I do agree that this globalization is eroding our manufacturing base and dragging the US middle class down with it. In a free capatilistic society, I don't see any easy answers. In some respects, the Japanese have picked up the slack here in the US and invested heavily in manurfacturing plants, both final assembly plants (Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc) and component plants (Aisen,NTN, NSK, etc).

We are all the same in that we want the most product for our money. To some that is a throw away DVD player for $29, instead of a good one for $100. In American business, it is always about the money.
Jeff
PS-I've owned two Corvettes, best sports car in the world!

From: "Ed Miller" <edbon85 at charter.net>