[NSRCA-discussion] Some Tools

dwaynenancy dwaynenancy at cox.net
Fri Jan 6 05:58:32 AKST 2006

John, I'll try.  The pushrods were made of solid wood (balsa or
hardwood).  The shape was either round or square.  A hole was drilled
thru the dowell about 1" to 1.5" from the end.  A groove the depth of
the metal rod (I used 1/16" welding rod) was ground into the pushrod
using a Dremel tool.  I would keep the unsupported lenth of wire to a
minimum as I did not want it to have any flexing.  I would sand the wire
to remove the surface oxidation and thin, using a wood glue coat the rod
and the pushrod generously.  Then, instead of using thread, I would use
masking tape wrapped in the same manner as the thread.  After wrapping
with masking tape I would smear some more wood glue on the surface of
the tape.  I would then do the other end which had my 2-56 treaded end
for the coupler in exactly the same manner.  Then, I would do another
pushrod.  When I had finished with the 2nd the 1st would be ready to
install and go from there.  I've got some 25 year old pattern planes
with this method and have never changed the pushrods.  Granted, these
airplanes weren't my only airplanes flown but they were built in Texas,
moved to Florida and back to Texas.

It worked for me.  I've used the fiberglass arrow shafts and other
material but I haven't found anything any better.

Hope this helps.

Dwayne