[NSRCA-discussion] redistricting

George Kennie geobet at gis.net
Sun Jan 1 10:11:40 AKST 2006

Happy New Year everybody!

A little bit ago I got a post from Cathy Reuther and it dealt with
the districts as currently arranged.
I got scratchin' my head over this and felt that there were some
extreme geographical inequities placed on some districts. I got out
my atlas and got looking at the U.S.and marvelled at the distance
one would have to travel in some districts to attend a contest in
"your own" district.
In some districts the states seem to be smaller while other
districts are composed of states that are voluminus in their
geographical area.
One area that caught my attention is district #2. In my estimation,
district #2 seems to have a lower frequency of scheduled events
which appears, to me, to be a function of the fact that the area is
too limited geographically. With a slight expansion of their
geographical area this shortfall could be corrected.
Anyhow................. I got studying the U.S. map and came up with
the following reconfiguration:

District #1,
Me., N.H., Vt., Ma., Ct., R.I., N.Y., Pa., N.J., Md., De. (no
change).

District #2,
D.C., Va., W.Va., Oh., Ky., Tn., N.C.

District #3,
S.C., Ga., Fla., Al., Ms., La., Ar.

District #4,
Mich., In., Il., Mis., Ia., Wi., Mn.

District #5,
N.D., S.D., Wy., Neb.

District #6,
Kan., Co., Ok., N.M., Tx.

District #7,
Ut., Az., Nev., Ca., Ha.

District #8,
Wa., Or., Id., Mt., Ak.

Now before you get yourselves all in a tither and rip me up and down
for not being all that sufficiently wound, get out your atlases and
take a look at how the size of all of these districts compare
against each other and you will find that in almost all of these
areas the distances required for one to travel to it's remotest
parts appears to be quite similar and much more equitable than the
current arrangement. Additionally, it's possible that the proximity
effects may even generate greater contest origination within
district confines as now one is free of the extended travel
requirement.

Hey, it's a quiet New Years day around here and I had not much else
to do so I decided to stir the pot a  little,...........and besides
maybe someone can come up with something better. Better is always
Georgie