[NSRCA-discussion] Equipment cost andpartiicpation --

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Tue Feb 28 08:03:18 AKST 2006

I really don't think that turnaround caused the drop in numbers that a lot of people seem to attribute. Sure, some of the long-time pattern veterans did not like it, and dropped out, but the biggest contests that I can remember in this area were a couple of years after turnaround started. (All classes).

  Like others have mentioned, the expense of competition has gone up. Not only from the required equipment, but also from the travel expense (gas prices, hotels, etc). And, there are many other things competing for our time, both in and out of the hobby. I believe that is why there are so many ARFs on the market, that is the only way a lot of us can have the time to put into this hobby.

  My son just got interested in flying RC last year. He soloed in quick order, and he wants EVERYTHING. He wants to fly helipcopters. He wants to try IMAC. He wants to try pattern, and he wants to go to giant-scale meets. Pattern seems to be on the low end of his scale, however, possibly due to the "wow factor" of the other events.  Guess what, daddy can't afford everything!!!

  Bob R.