[NSRCA-discussion] ** Klipped to repost ** Equipment costandpartiicpation --

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Tue Feb 28 07:23:12 AKST 2006

Dave,
            No personal criticism intended but, the problem with looking at this from the position of a successful FAI pilot, especially if you were a good pilot from a very young age, is that you can't really feel that "leap of faith barrier" that a regular pilot feels, then or today.

I have spent most of last year with regular-club-pilots. Not a few guys that I practice pattern with. Did not have a pattern-plane with me. They were sort flyers that were pretty good aerobats with their own planes. based upon what I learned, I can tell you that turnaround is massively daunting to them. Much more daunting, in fact , than trying out a  difficult 3-D high alpha maneuver.

You can't ignore the fact that pattern pilots left our sport in droves around and after 1985, and never came back. These guys were not the top liners. They were, however, the mainstay of the sport. They showed up, paid their fees (said another way paid for the trophies), they had a great time, created a fun environment and cared more about taking part than actually winning. They flew pretty simple planes that could still do most of center maneuvers today.

This is the group that is still missing in pattern. They were the ones that attracted new members. They were reachable and certainly not intimidating. It may well not be the schedules. IMAC, with more difficulty schedules attracted a large new following because you could fly your CURRENT plane in their classes. There are now plenty of pattern ARF's but the same thing is not happening, at least not yet.

If we knew why we could probably fix it.

Regards,

Eric.