[NSRCA-discussion] Thunder Power cell balancer

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Mon Feb 27 09:50:30 AKST 2006

Hello Dennis,
1) Yes, you do want to balance your cells.
2) A balancing charger (rather than a separate charger and balancer) is better, because the combo unit will have internal smarts to end the charge of an unbalanceable pack.
3) Balanceing needs to be part of a maintenance regime, where you balance upon charge, and check individual cell voltages right after flight. Weakl cells can be found before theyt cause grief.

Now, I have been BETA testing an FMA Balance-Pro charger, as part of a big article for FM I am doing about the issues related with high-performance electrics, since July. I had a cell go bad, as a result of an encounter with a battery cycler. Entirely my fault, though LiPo cyclers should also be "per-cell" not per pack! As a result of my doing a flawed battery capacity check, I had a pack with one cell that had 60% of capacity.
I was able to fly 15 or 16 shortened (7 minute) flights with a full 1C charge in between, using the Balance-Pro, without causing any further damage to any otjher cells, or any fires. Needless to say, this was an acid-test, and the Balance-Pro passed. You'll have to make up an adaptor cable from the charger to whichevr pack you use, but it is a good item.

No, I am not sponsored by FMA.

Dean

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer