[NSRCA-discussion] NiMH follow up

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 27 02:39:54 AKST 2006

Ed:
Yep, 1/10C would be 220 mA for your 2200 mAh pack.  To condition a NiMh pack when brand new, you do several conditioning charges at 1/10C.  You want to go a full 24 hours at 1/10C, do a discharge to complete a cycle and repeat for a total of 3 or 4 full cycles.  This will generally get you to full capacity and also gets the cells ready to accept higher rate charging and with the right charger, they will then start to give a reliable indication of when they have peaked.  After these first conditioning charges, you do not want to exceed about 16 hrs at 1/10C, though at 1/10C it's a low enough rate that you're not going to damage it if you do go over.  Anything higher than 1/10C can shorten the life of the cells if repeated overcharging is done.  The higher the rate and the more time it is overcharged, the faster the degradation can occur.

Ed