[NSRCA-discussion] Was Mini Brio, Now Pattern Longitevity

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 26 02:07:07 AKST 2006

 Hey Bob good thoughts. I would add that more than anything we the faithfull can do more to attract new participants by setting a good example. In this day and age when you get all the super annoying 3Der's flying 2 inches from your nose pattern has got to be seen as a breath of fresh air. Being freindly, helpful and showing off the value of pattern goes farther to attract one to the sport than saving them money. Another thing that we can all do to help is to go out of our way to make the new guys that come to a contest feel welcome. How many out there have seen just the opposite?
   We could benefit from a campaign that portrays pattern as a "COOL THING" to participate in. Pattern planes are "COOL" typically they attract a lot of attention for their beauty. We have a somewhat poor public perception for a boat load of reasons. One problem is the average age of guys at a contest. It will take an effort to change it. Each of us has to try a little harder. Mike

Bob Kane <getterflash at yahoo.com> wrote:
  I belong to the IAC, the organization for full scale
aerobatics. The latest magazine has an article about
problems with shrinking full scale participation and
public indifference about the sport. Unlike most
popular sports, it is very difficult for the casual
observer to see who is "winning" an aerobatic contest,
the judging criteria is lost on them.

The Winter Olympics is going on now, I'm sure many of
you have watched the figure skating competition. Yet
what we are watching is ice dancing, not figure
skating. The "figures" part of skating has long since
dissapeared since it was boring to watch on TV and not
understood by the general public, much like our
precision aerobatics.

I wish I could offer the magic answer to growing our
ranks, but I don't have it. Many will continue to be
attracted by the same thing that drew me in, the
chance to improve my flying beyond left-hand cirlces
in the sky. Others, looking for Monster Truck thrills
will have to go elsewhere.

I will continue to share my enthusiasm, fly my plane
on training night so others can see what it can do,
and hope it draws interest.

=== message truncated ===>

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com