[NSRCA-discussion] Was Mini Brio, Now Pattern Longitevity

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sat Feb 25 22:10:09 AKST 2006

A few years ago, we had a winner in F3A with a wood and foam model  covered
in plastic film. It wasn't a terribly expensive set-up and nowhere near  5K. If
that didn't dispell some notions about how expensive the sport of pattern
can be, not much will.

On the opposite extreme we have the last two years where we have seen  a sort
of rebirth of the extremely expensive custom built ARFie. These past  couple
years have done nothing to dispell the notions of expensive pattern. Why  do
these even exist?? The way I see it, we have seen the enemy and it is  us.

I would like to think that it isn't the judges' perception about  what  a
model cost that is driving this lunacy. I think it is the pilots' perception  of
what they believe will score. Truth is the best judges don't care much what
the model looks like on the ground as long as the pilots' presentation on the
ground is competent. If the pilots' air presentation is poor, it doesn't
matter  what the model looks like on the ground and how professional the ground
presentation was.

MattK

In a message dated 2/26/2006 1:27:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,