[NSRCA-discussion] Obechi

brett terry brett.terry at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 16:02:36 AKST 2006

>From my sailplane days, it seemed to be somewhere around 24#/ft^3.  Wing
panels seemed to turn out as if they were covered by 10#/ft^3 1/32" balsa.
They were a bit heavier than the same wing would be with light contest
balsa.  If you use it scrape ALL of the epoxy back off (no more shiny spots)
before applying the skin to the wing.  Enough will seep into the wood for an
excellent glue joint.  Of course, this was using 1/64" obechi (0.4mm).

I liked using it because it gave an excellent, smooth surface and didn't
require much in the way of filling.  It sands well too.  Use 150 grit then
240.  Spray on a thin coat of urethane, sand it smooth with 220, then top
coat with paint.  You could substitute laminating epoxy for the urethane, if
you are going to use an epoxy paint.