[NSRCA-discussion] Smoke Solution

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Sat Feb 25 07:36:41 AKST 2006

You'll recall that I inquired about equipment / methods of generating a reasonable amount of non-toxic / non-corrosive smoke to investigate airflow in and around the cowl. I picked up a smoke pen (www.metermall.com) and it appears to meet my needs. Essentially, the "pen" utilizes a button operated collet to hold the smoke wick - about 1/4" dia. braded material (cotton?) that appears to be saturated with wax.

The wick is lit with a match and allowed to burn for a couple minutes. When the flame is extinguished, the glowing wick produces a good amount of smoke. (Think candle that's all wick and little candle.) The smoke is non-toxic and nearly odor free. Each wick is good for 30 min or so and is extinguished by simple placing the cap on the pen.

Earl