[NSRCA-discussion] mini Brio

Jay Marshall lightfoot at sc.rr.com
Sat Feb 25 03:55:07 AKST 2006

The mini -Brio got me thinking about a new format. One of the problems with
our setup at present is the cost of new entry and therefore the lack of new
participants. Planes like the mini-Brio could help this. So far the
discussion list has talked about limiting motor size, battery capacity, etc.
These are impossible to monitor and would just start a new $$ race for the
latest & greatest. I propose we do something like sailing, a one-class
competition. Each year we could designate a model and associated equipment
as that years contender. Limit the size (1m ?) and weight for selection.
Everyone flys the same gear except new (novice) contestants who could also
fly last year's. Have just two classes, novice (Sportsman & Intermediate)
and expert (all else). Use spread spectrum for easy management, more flying
lines, and low cost.

Advantages

1. Much lower cost

2. New entrants could buy form a large pool of used equipment

3. Mfg's may give us a discount because of the large number of possible
orders

4. The fun is in the flying, not the equipment

Jay Marshall