[NSRCA-discussion] NiMH Question

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 24 04:48:43 AKST 2006

I think this procedure is essential with NiMh packs. You can do OK with individual cells (like digital camera applications) using a charger that shuts down with peak detection. When you charge a set of NiMh's in series with a peak detector it stops with the first cell peaking. It doesn't hurt anything, you just don't get a full charge on the pack.

It is possible to build a pack charger that charges each cell individually but it gets cumbersome. Especially when you consider that an occasional 16 hour charge will solve the problem.

I find the same procedure also works well for NiCad's. If you reset the peak charger and restart it you will cook the  batteries and suffer short battery life. NiCad's normally fail shorted and you have enough power to land. NiMh's normally fail open and you will need another airplane to go with your new battery.

That is also why I use NiMh in the transmitter and NiCads in the flight packs.

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US