[NSRCA-discussion] Fuel Weight

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 11:21:35 AKST 2006

I spend around $15 per gallon (20% nitro, 2C).  That means that the cost per oz is about $0.12/oz.  I spend about 14 oz to fly the Master schedule with normal winds.  In Muncie we should use around 16 oz (2C engines).  This means that the glow fuel cost is about $1.64/flight.  For electric, the question is how many cycles is the average life of the batteries?  Let's make it easier and assume that the average life is 100 cycles.  This means that the cost per fly would be $7.40/flight.  Clearly, electric is 4.5 times more expensive assuming that 100 cycles is correct compared with 2C engines.  My personal conclusion is: I will wait until the battery manufactures give us at least equal guaranty that we get when we buy batteries for cars.

Regards,

Vince

From: "Michael Laggis" <fishgod at pobox.mtaonline.net>

It may be cheaper in the end, but laying out the $$$ to get started is the hard thing.(4 sets of batteries, chargers, power supplies/generator).

Michael Laggis