[NSRCA-discussion] Cooling inlet/out sizes???

Bill Glaze billglaze at triad.rr.com
Mon Feb 13 11:21:31 AKST 2006

Randy:
With the P & W  R-2800, T.O was with the cowl flaps in the 4 degree position- actually, in trail.  These were gradually set to keep the heads at a certain temp. for cruise.  Actually, they were closed, which gave much LESS of an exhaust opening, than the cowl intake.  As I recall, the Wright R-3350 was about the same.  BTW: With the cowl flaps in the full open, (ground) position, some airplanes wouldn't stay in the air, due to drag.  A Boeing 377 was put into SFO Bay one time when the engineer accidentally turned the cowl flap control knobs in the wrong direction, fully opening the cowl flaps.  I don't believe anyone lost their life.
Bill Glaze