[NSRCA-discussion] Direct Servo Drive

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Mon Feb 13 05:08:25 AKST 2006

My feeling exactly.

  Bob R.

Ed Alt <ed_alt at hotmail.com> wrote:
          Never have seen it before, but I guess the main question I have concerns the potential for loss of effective torque transmitted to the control surface.  I see that they claim it's better due to no losses.  That would be true in the sense that you don't lose that little bit in the linkage friction etc., but if you only want, say, 25 degrees of surface throw each direction, it would appear that you would have to limit the servo travel to 25 degrees as well.  If that's true, then you have less mechanical advantage for a given degree of movement for the surface, since you would normally have a servo traveling about double that distance.  The control surface speed would be quicker, assuming the load is handled without any blowback or slowdown of movement due to the effectively lower torque transmitted while moving.  Maybe I'm not seeing it right, but it looks like it might not be such a good thing to use, unless you were already planning on having something close to a 1:1
 correspondence of degrees of servo arm movement to degrees of surface travel.

  Ed