[NSRCA-discussion] Thoughts about lack of power of my DA150??

PPandelaers ppandelaers at pandora.be
Tue Feb 7 08:57:48 AKST 2006

Hi Jason,

The plane I', flying is an Extra 330S from PL_Prod (now PLF). I did do front
baffling, closed the cowl hole in front f the carb. So most of the air for
the carb is the cooling air of the engine

Everybody seems to agree that the RPM's are about right. My altitude is
about sea level. Nevertheless, my competition friends "claim": they are
running 5800, this was my reference.

The headers I'm using have a length of 310mm, so it seems that I indeed
could shorten some and see if it helps. DA has responded, I'm waiting for
the port timing, so I can rationalize the need for shortening the headers.
DA is shipping it's standard headers at  305mm.

I have made sure to avoid a blast in the carb vent hole for sure.

I have always been very sensitive when turning in the needles, so I don't
think I have damaged anything.

Still, with the recommended needle setting I have very poor throttle
response in the air, just far too rich in low to middle, not achieving full
power at full. I was thinking my header length had something to do with it.
But now I see, I'm at the standard length of DA_headers. So what else could
be wrong?

BTW:

*	What prop are you running, what RPM"s??
*	Total distance to the rear muffler plate?  In my case the MTW
TD110k's add 310 mm to the headers.

Thanks!!

Patrick