[NSRCA-discussion] Guys I need help...

Randall Bearden rbearden56 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 27 13:27:55 AKST 2006

On 12/27/06 4:08 PM, "gseeling" <gseeling at smartfella.com> wrote:

> e mail dave guerin, you can get him @piedmont models

. You are not off that much.  Your water line is the reference or thrust
line and set to 0 degrees.  Good so far.  Your wind incidence is is measured
to the thrust line but the real height measurement is the length of the
hypotenuse the triangle you created from the center of the wing tube to the
leading tip edge raised 1/4 degree from the adjacent side.  You must
remember the further the distance from the center of the wing tube and the
leading edge is the higher the leading edge will be at the same angle.

If you have the measurements of the length of the Hypotenuse (center of wing
tube to the leading edge) and the angle of incidence you can accurately
calculate the length of the opposite side using basic trigonometry.  It can
be calculated using the following formula; the height of the leading edge
above the thrust line = the length from the wing tube center to the leading
edge times the SIN incidence angle)

    SIN incidence = the length of the wing tube center and the leading edge
    a = the height of the leading edge above the thrust line
    A = incidence angle

    a = c * sinA

Please consider this when you are making measurements.  Unless the wing tube
is exactly centered on the wind and you compensate for the taper of the
wings at the measurement point, then the distances  from the zero line above
and below the zero thrust line will be different.  The incidence meter will
accurately display the wings angle of attack relative to the thrust line
regardless of the wing tube position and that is the more important
measurement when setting up the airplane.

When you  recheck the thrust line and verify the wing incidence angle is
still at +1/4 degree then you are fine and unless you really like doing the
math enjoy finishing your build.

I need to get back to my building table.....

Randall Bearden