[NSRCA-discussion] Guys I need help...

Bob Harden rharden1 at cox.net
Wed Dec 27 08:26:51 AKST 2006

Hello John,

I hope I will be able to help you with my experience when I built my Focus
II.  The top of the fuselage where the canopy seats is where you should
reference to set your wing incidence (don't reference from anywhere else as
it may just confuse you).  If you want to orient the plane on the table for
0 incidence (at the canopy) first then that would help overall just for the
ease of reading the meter when adjusting the main wings.  Make sure the
plane is fixed so it will not move while you are working with the wings.
Next locate a wing panel to the fuselage and adjust for 1/4 degree positive
and hold the wing in place using masking tape to the fuselage.  Check the
incidence again using the incidence meter and if it hasn't moved, install
the wing adjusters (make sure each aduster is in its center of travel before
installing) to the fuselage using CA.  Repeat this procedure for the next
wing panel.  After the wing adusters are installed, recheck the incidences
on both wings and adjust if necessary using the wing adusters. Remember to
make all adjustments referencing the top of the fuselage.  I had to make a
small adjustment to the wings after I installed my adjusters.  I had read
what others were doing when the flew their Focus II and they had to readjust
their wing incidence to approx 1/8 degree positive to fly correctly, so I
started with 1/8 degree positive before I flew the plane and that worked out
well.  I also installed short screws to complete the adjuster installations
to the fuselage.

Oh, one other thing. If you install the carbon fiber push rod for the
elevator, you will need to install at least one (I installed two) foam
bulkhead type formers to keep the pushrod from flexing while under load
(when in the air).  If you don't install the formers, your elevater may go
into oscillation during flight and this is a bad thing to have happen.

Good luck with it John.