[NSRCA-discussion] aerogel

Nat Penton natpenton at centurytel.net
Tue Dec 26 08:30:59 AKST 2006

David
I took a cursory ( inadequate ) look a couple of years ago. The silica
materiel would be totally adequate for our purposes and save almost our
entire wing core weight - with enough compressive strength to be bagged. The
info I found indicated the cost would be in the thousands for one wing panel
and there were shaping problems.

I  have about 20 flights on a new wing, 1# core, bagged with 2mm Rohacell
and .2 oz carbon mat in lieu of balsa. The Rohacell manufacturer has a new
grade, IG-F, 3.2 #/ cu ft, which is only availiable from Germany at this
time, and is very suitable for our needs. It is not availiable from CST. The
compressive strength of this grade is about the same as 12# balsa and  has a
fine pore structure.

The 430 sq in wing panels weigh 10.9 oz "glassed" and painted.
Nat