[NSRCA-discussion] Li Po charging and balancing

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Fri Dec 22 07:52:49 AKST 2006

There's a gap between the lowest you should ever let a 3S pack get and peak for a 2S....  3S to 4S is the first overlap (not much)

Max you can get a 2S is 8.6v, and that's overcharged. (8.4 is considered peak)  Lowest resting voltage you should have with a 3S is 9.0v.  The 2.7 LVC setting of some ESC's is UNDER LOAD.  within seconds of the load being taken off the pack should read 3.0 or higher (3.2 is my prefered minimum after resting 2 min.)  If you let the batteries drain more... you are potentially harming them.

If there was danger of the Quick Peak misdetecting 2S as 3S, we'd be hearing of 2S packs getting ruined by the thing.  (And Hobbico would have to recall it)  No reports of it that I have seen.

The Astro 109 can misdetect a pack as a LOWER cell count than it is, because of the significant voltage overlaps in 5s to 6S (and higher count packs)  I'm using the Astro for 3S > 2000 ma and for 6S.

Lowest I have ever had a 3S, its not detected it as 2S.    Highest has not detected as 4S.
6S when below 22.0 V detects as 5S. (minimum resting for a 6S shouldn't be below 18.0... 19.2 preferred is still well below max or a 5S)  Peaked, fresh charged it still detects as 6S. (even though its within operating range of 7S)

******

I just tested putting a fresh charged 2S on the Hobbico... and it refused to charge the pack further.