[NSRCA-discussion] Li Po charging and balancing

Rex LESHER trexlesh at msn.com
Thu Dec 21 17:35:43 AKST 2006

Colin

It depends on what you want out of your charger/balancer setup, and how much are you willing to spend...   You know how it usually goes...
"Oh, I'll never have anything larger, or more than"....  then, the next thing you know, you need to expand or get something in addition.
If you may get bigger batteries or batteries with more cells, you may be better off spending a little more now, and get a setup that gives you pretty much everything you could possibly want.
One of the best setups you can get, is something that gives you information on individual cells during charging, and automatically shuts down if there is a problem.  The ability to read the data from your balancer per cell can tell you a lot about the condition of your batteries, and perhaps
detect a potential "real problem" before it happens...
You also want a charger that gives the ability to alter cell count and charge rate.
I have a few different chargers that I have used for charging Lipos, but after getting into the 5 cell batteries, I chose the TP 1010 charger, 210V balancer combo.  This setup gives you all the safety and data acquisition you could ask for.  It retails for around $200 for the combo.  This charger can also be updated with downloads from the TP website with an available USB data cord.
You just have to ask yourself how much it's worth for the peace of mind  of a good charger/balancer combination.
I'm sure others will chime in with different combinations that will suit your purpose...  This is just the combination that I use...

Rex