[NSRCA-discussion] Competition question

Adrien L Terrenoire amad2terry at juno.com
Sat Dec 16 15:50:43 AKST 2006

yes, the risk seems high, but I have been attending contests since 1984,
about 4 to 5 a year, and I can remember just 5 or 6 midairs, and 2 of
them were at the Nats. For several years our club had so many entrys that
we ran THREE flight lines, and never had a mid-air. Yes, it is terrible
to lose one of our treasures, but I don't think too many of us would be
happy making our weekend committment and getting to fly just 2 or 3
rounds. That would sure deter me from traveling more than an hour or two.
In reality, I think we have a greater risk of loss just by sheer number
of flights we put on in flying practice. It might be interesting to see
just what the odds are! How many contests are held each year? How many
rounds each contest? How many mid-airs during the course of a season?
Then compare that to the average number of flights we get on each of our
own airframes before it's hidden number comes up!

Terry T.

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:17:40 -0600 "R. LIPRIE" <RLIPRIE at centurytel.net>