[NSRCA-discussion] Cooling outrunners

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Fri Dec 15 17:17:16 AKST 2006

Jim,

I think Rex Lesher modified a True Turn spinner to have 'inlet slits' to
pull air into the spinner and back thru the motor.  I don't know if there  were
any tests to indicate if was effective.  Maybe Rex can comment  here.

I also believe there are some NASA airflow studies that indicate the area
around the prop hub and some small amount of the prop as well as the spinner
create an cone like airflow around that area that basically prevents air from
entering the spinner slots, etc.

Hacker has a fan like attachment on the back of the large outrunners than
creates a negative pressure area inside the motor and draws air in thru the
front of the motor for cooling.  there have been some tests retrofitting a
similar fan on the back of other outrunners with similar success.   Basically a
trade off in weight for cooling effectiveness.

As you know, I run an AXI 5330/F3A with the chin cowl opening ducted to
divert incoming air upward across the AXI.  It seems to work even on the  hottest
summer days.  No air from the cheek cowls is ducted toward the  motor, it just
passes thru toward the ESC and batteries.

Don

In a message dated 12/15/2006 4:14:26 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,