[NSRCA-discussion] LiPo Disaster Avoided

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Fri Dec 15 07:10:16 AKST 2006

On Dec 15, 2006, at 9:28 AM, Jay Marshall wrote:

> Has anyone else tried this? I accidentally discharged a 2100 mAh 3S
> pack
> down to 1 V (don't ask how). I experimented in resurrection using a
> Accu-Cycle charger and told it that it was a single cell and to
> charged @
> 100 mA. When that was finished, I told it that it was a 2 cell pack
> and then
> repeated saying it was a 3 cell. At 100 mA it took a while but when
> it was
> finished I cycled it several times at 2A charge and discharge with no
> problems and have flown it several times. Saved myself $80. By the
> way, I
> charged in a metal can with sand in the bottom, just in case.....

Confession time.  I also accidentally discharged a big LiPo pack.  It
is a 5-cell (18.5 volts nominal) 3700 mah pack.  When I discovered
what I'd done, the pack was down to 2.89 volts.  I did what Jay did,
lying to my Multiplex LN-5014 charger/cycler about the number of
cells, kept the charge current low and brought the pack back, with no
obvious damage.  I may have reduced the total number of lifetime
cycles, but so far, so good.

Ron Van Putte