[NSRCA-discussion] 2007 Rules interpretation

vellum2 at bellsouth.net vellum2 at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 11 14:01:30 AKST 2006

Jon et al,
Regarding the stall turn, the 2005 description does not include the 3/4 up, 3/4 down that I could find.  I asked the question because the description for the 1 1/4 up, 3/4 down clearly states "In the flight direction" for the stall.  The 1/4 up, 1/4 down just says "180 degree turn".  Either way, I just need to see it in writing so I can judge it correctly from now on.  Incidently, I scored the stall for either direction given the lack of definitive information at the time.

Regarding the Split "S":  Since description says split "S", not 2 of 4 with a half loop, the pull must be immediately after the 2nd point.

Landing zone:  Boy, how fun was that!  Steve was clear at the meeting with how we were judging it at Tangerine, so as far as that contest goes, it should be a dead issue.  I can't imagine it would have changed the standings.  It really added a few more bounces to the landings though!  Now we are all clear for the next contest.  No harm , no foul.

Maybe this means we see the return of the trike gear?

One other fun topic came up though.  Judging.

Many of the new sequences can become a little hectic to follow along.  It was suggested that we make scribes mandatory for at least FAI and Masters and strongly suggested for the other classes.  I know there has been a lot of discussion on this in the past, but I am all for it.  It's hard enough to keep your eyes on the plane the whole time when you are fresh and don't need a pee break, but add to it being tired after 15 pilots in the hot sun (or cold rain!), having to figure out the next maneuver (especially if it is done slightly incorrectly), then adding a momentary glance down to scribble a score.  Spells disaster I tell you!  I have talked to RVP about his thought of having a pad and no scribe, this works well too, but only if you have the sequence committed to memory.  Having a helper there will increase consistency in judging IMHO.

Joe Walker