[NSRCA-discussion] 2007 Rules interpretation

JonLowe at aol.com JonLowe at aol.com
Mon Dec 11 07:48:44 AKST 2006

All,
We flew the 2007 sequences at the Tangerine this past weekend in Apopka.  A
couple of confusing things need some interpretation.

In the Advanced sequence, the first manuever after takeoff is the stall turn
with 3/4 rolls up and down, on center.  Some interpreted this a meaning that
you could stall either in direction of flight, or opposite to direction of
flight, but still exit after the roll in the direction of flight (in other words,
the stall turn portion could be in either direction).  The rule proposal and
the discription is not clear on this for the Advanced sequence, at least that I
could find.

In the intermediate sequence, the split s with a 2 of 4:  Some interpreted
this to mean that since there was a two of four, that you should pause after the
second point before pulling, the same length of time as you paused for the
knife edge point.  Others interpreted the rule as pulling as soon as you reached
the second point, as in a standard split s.  I'd interpret it the second way
(standard split s) , and pull immediately, as the rule proposal says: "Split S
with 2/4pt roll.  Model performs the same elements as the Split “S” except
the model performs a 2 of 4 point roll in place of the ½ roll"

There was some confusion over landing in or out of the 30 meter zone.  Some
interpreted the rule as meaning that anywhere out of the zone was a zero.  The
rule pretty clearly states "If the touchdown is within the runway but not in
the landing zone it should be downgraded proportionate to the distance outside
the landing zone. "  The CD has an option :  "The Contest Director may
designate any landing zone appropriate to the field if safety considerations
dictate."  Since this was new to many of us, we should have had more discussion at the
pilots meeting on this in 20-20 hindsight.  The CD made a comment about
landing out of the zone during the pilots meeting, but I didn't interpret that as a
mandatory zero out of the 30m zone.  Others did.  There was no safety
consideration involved, so the rule exception for the CD really didn't apply.   I'd
highly recommend detailed discussion on this at early contest pilots meetings,
especially before judging seminars are held.

Just a couple of bugs to get clarified, but no huge deal.  We just need to
get consistent and all judging the same way.

Jon Lowe