[NSRCA-discussion] Trim changes

Jim Woodward Jim.Woodward at armorholdings.com
Wed Dec 6 09:28:17 AKST 2006

Hi Brian - ditto on "major' trim changes from morning to night on my two planes with the DEPs system.  However, my RCME Aggressor has two FUT9650's in the tail has almost no trim changes.  I plan to convert my other planes to a DESS (dual elevator servo system, :-) ) when I can get to it.  Not that the other two planes don't fly well, but the Aggressor (I have 3) with the dual elevator servos also tracks EXTREMELY well through maneuvers.  Now running YS, the other plane needed some tail weight anyway so as far as CG goes, I'll be fine to pop in the two servos and take out the lead weight/pushrods.

I think the real key to being happy with a two elevator system is to use this "Y" with "reverser & pot" from EMS.  http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAFN1&P=ML  I first tried to match throws using two different receiver channels, matching servo centers and control geometry as best as possible.  Over two nights I absolutely COULD NOT get the throws to match to my satisfaction.  I then installed the servo reverser and used the little pot to adjust the center of the reversed servo.  Immediately, you could tell that the elevator ½s were moving perfectly in unison.  I also put pointers on it and it revealed that they were moving in unison up and down the full range.

This little thing is worth the money, eases programming, and can be set/matched centers very quickly, saves a bunch of time too.

See you at the Tangerine.

Jim