[NSRCA-discussion] Spread Spectrum club meeting Lecture byMarkGoresky

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Mon Dec 4 10:23:23 AKST 2006

Hi Nat,
Yeah, the pictures got everyone's attention at the start of the talk!
The basic principle of how Direct-Sequence Spread Spectrum delivers great noise immunity is actually simple.
Imagine a fella' sitting at the other end of a crowded room, and he is whistling one of two tunes: the one is "Yankee Doodle" and the other is "Dixie". Really, those were the first two tunes that came to mind! If (big if) you know both tunes well, then even if everybody else in the room is talking loudly, you can pick out which of those two tunes is being whistled. It's because you are listening for a long pattern of notes, not a single note.

later,
Dean

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer