[NSRCA-discussion] Right Thrust Measurement?

twtaylor twtaylor at ftc-i.net
Tue Aug 29 04:08:58 AKDT 2006

Godd morning boys and girls. Help me out here with a Geometry lesson if you
will.

I'm trying to come up with an easy way to measure the right thrust in my
airplane. The seemingly simple way ,for me anyway,  has been to measure from
the elev hinge line to the prop tip with the prop level. With a 17" prop
from the elev comes out to be 1" total difference from one side to the
other. So I drew a line 8.5"  at the end of the line  another line @ 90
degrees I put a dot at 1/2" making a tirangle. Then I used my digital level,
I don't have a protractor handy, and came up with almost 5 degrees of right
thrust. This airplane acts like it needs more right thrust as it's carrying
a bit of right rudder trim and at high throttle I need a bit more. This is a
YS1.60 on a 17x12 APC. Is this near right? All the posts on RCU seem to be
around 3 degrees. Is this a correct way to get the measurement correctly?
Perhaps someone has a better way? Thanks