[NSRCA-discussion] DS 8411sa Servo Oscillation on Rudder

DaveL322 at comcast.net DaveL322 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 24 09:51:34 AKDT 2006

Bob,

Yes, I was simplifying things quite a bit.  Over the years I've messed with different servos, linkages, dampening devices, etc.  Increasing the deadband is relatively easy to do and effective more often than not.  Better yet, in my experience, is keeping the surface and linkages light and non-elastic.  Just about any servo can have this problem if the system as a whole is "tuned" just right (or just wrong depending on ones perspective).

Dave

From: Bob Richards <bob at toprudder.com>

Dave,

There is deadband, and there is dampening. Sounds like the problem, as it is related to heavy control surfaces, is dampening.

I remember reading Jim Oddino's column in RCM many years ago, where he touched on this subject. (I always looked forward to his column, as I was just getting into electronics at that time).

Bob R.

DaveL322 at comcast.net wrote:
Jon,

It is basically a "deadband" issue, which is always a compromise - tighter deadband yields more accurate centering but increases the probability of oscillation (especially with heavy surfaces as has been noted).

Since introduced, there have been some minor changes to 8411, but Horizon should be able to increase the deadband for you.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart, Team JR
DaveL322 at comcast.net