[NSRCA-discussion] charging

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.com
Fri Aug 18 11:40:59 AKDT 2006

You can get away with a lot of things a few times....

The question is... can you get away with it all the time?

A few high rate charges succeeding means you can on an occasion get away with it.  Is it reducing the cycle life of the pack?  Not enough high charge rate cycles to know.  So even if it isn't a fire hazard (which it still might be...) it could be a bit expensive to do it.

I'll let the battery and charger makers do the experiments that might blow up.  They have the proper facilities (I hope) and the proper fire fighting equipment (I hope) and the properly trained personnel (I hope)

If you need a fresh charged LiPo for your model every 12 min... maybe having 5 or 6 packs and the ability to keep 4 on the charger at all times would do the job?  We know that works with reasonable safety.  There's even a charger designed for it. (for smaller packs...)