[NSRCA-discussion] Wind correction

Earl Haury ehaury at houston.rr.com
Mon Aug 14 06:53:24 AKDT 2006

Throttle management in the wind can be mind boggling! The pilot / judges are
observing the ground speed of the aircraft - yet the aircraft only knows
airspeed - changing airspeed in a headwind / tailwind to provide "constant"
ground speed will have a big effect on control "feel" and input "timing".

Really interesting things occur in uplines / downlines with the presence of
significant wind. Power required to draw a vertical line (vector) of some
speed without wind = X, add some attitude (pitch / yaw) into a wind and that
vector portion (from vertical) requires Y power. For like speed, vertical
lines in the wind power requirement is X + Y. Or, use X power and the allow
the line to be slowed by the power used for Y to maintain track, but the
slowing will require even more pitch / yaw.  We probably all need to think
more about downlines also - attitude change of a "falling" airplane in a
moving body of air has little effect without power to compensate for the air
mass movement. Oh - and in both cases higher speed provides less time for
the wind to effect the track so less windage vector is needed. Comments?

Earl