[NSRCA-discussion] Wind correction

Adam Glatt adam.g at sasktel.net
Mon Aug 14 06:21:04 AKDT 2006

Cruelly, yes, in a crosswind the entire flight is crooked.  Since seeing
whether or not you are travelling in or out is very difficult from the
pilot's perspective, the general approach is to feel the wind, try a
certain amount of yaw, fly a few maneuvers, and then look to see if you
have changed flightline distance.  Note that pattern planes are pretty
good at yawing themselves into the wind - my last plane actually
yawed/weathervaned itself too much into the wind and had to have some
downwind rudder held in!  Generally you will establish a weathervane/yaw
angle with rudder and then only slight rudder input will be required to
hold it.
-Adam