[NSRCA-discussion] Wing tube phenolic repair update

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 13 17:16:30 AKDT 2006

While everyone else in D4 was in Quincy competing I was trying to repair the phenolic in my Odyssey.

  Based on the great advice from the list members I grabbed my exacto knife, my soldering iron, and some light ply and went to work fixing my loose wing phenolic.A carefully cut slot cleaned up with the soldering iron allowed the 1/8 th light ply to fit snugly around the phenolic. I had to cut the ply rib in half vertically to get it to key around the already installed phenolic, but it still fit quite nicely.

  After a couple of spritzes from the water bottle I went to work with Elmer's Ultimate  polyurethane glue. I was amazed at how much it expanded as it cured! It obviously filled every nook and cranny as it bonded the light ply to the wing and filled in any loose spaces.

  After waiting 24 hours for the glue to set up I slid in the carbon fiber wing tube and tested it for rigity. I was very pleased to see that the wing didn't seem be loose at all. Next will be to test it in the air.

  Thanks a ton to everyone that responded with suggestions. Your help was very much appreciated.
  Anthony