[NSRCA-discussion] Outrunners and structural failures

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Sun Aug 13 07:58:59 AKDT 2006

Excellent example Earl. Underestimation of the loads generated is an issue;
one should consider what happens to a cantilevered load of about 1 lb with a
moment arm of about 2", when that load experiences even moderate Gs (10).

It seems that many have opted out of using a firewall in the electric
set-ups. Actually, a firewal per se' may not really be necessary but a bulkhead
should be used in the nose, just behind the motor. 1/8" lite ply would probably
work fine, or better yet, carbon tow epoxied in place completely around the
inside circumference of the fuselage. A carbon tow "X" could then be run from the
bulkhead to the nose ring to allow load transfer.

Bulkheads add great column strength for minimal weight. Shorter columns
result between the support of the bulkhead, enhancing torsional and compresssive
strengths of the otherwise existing structure.

A similar structural failure was occuring with the Impacts several months
back, where oscillations of the tail forces were ripping the tails off the
models. The definitive fix for that was never really implemented at the factory so
the folks resorted to all sorts of ladders, etc to fix a design flaw.

Matt

In a message dated 8/13/2006 11:15:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,