[NSRCA-discussion] Outrunners and structural failures

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.com
Sat Aug 12 21:13:21 AKDT 2006

I may be a bit wierd in how I did it... but it works. (Its also a somewhat
smaller AXi than most of you will be using for Pattern)

Stuck my AXi 4120/18 on using 2 sets of glow engine mounts.  The bolt holes
of the AXi fit the firewall holes on one mount set perfectly, and that had
the shaft parallel to the bans, centered between em (pointed the wrong way)
Put the other mount in as if installing a glow engine...  bolted the beams
top to top...  Very secure mounting. (and very cheap using the ARF
fiberglass mounts and a Du Bro fiberglass mount)

What I didn't do though was lighten the fuselage because of going electric
instead of glow... and I avoided cutting the fuselage to install the
batteries.
Lightening the structure and cutting things need to be VERY carefuly
considered.  The original structure holds up under the glow engine you are
replacing.  The prop is making as much (or more) power.....  Can you REALLY
afford to take out structure?

Heres something I have also seen... the standoffs sometimes used in
outrunner mounting (because the outrunner is short and the firewall tends to
be back far enough for the glow engine...) just LOOK like they'd allow some
flex.  The aluminum "X" that came with my AXi is meant to be bolted flat to
a firewall... not to resist flex when bolted to a set of four 2 inch studs.
Wood can give, and with the small standoff "footprint" you have a formula
for the motor to move...  Those aluminum tube over bolt standoff mounts are
EASY.,.. but are they right?

The flat square outline back of the mount setup I used cant rock on the
firewall.  The bent and bolted together aluminum  or steel sheet (not sure
which they are made of... I've just seen pictures of them) has a much more
stable appearance.

Mounting the motor to the nose ring in the cowl?  Is that cowl meant to take
the torque and other stresses of applying the motor power there?  Can it
resist flexing under the loads?  Most are not designed for the loads.
Torsional bracing frames need to be added.

Sometimes appearance is worth paying attention to...  If a structure looks
unstable, it might be unstable.  Take the motor in hand and give it a bit of
a twist (estimate the prop torque... apply it to where the moltor bolts
on.)... if it flexes stuff in front of the firewall it needs more structure.

Food for thought.

****************
Re: my Quest with RF issues
I've been thinking of trying: stretch the firewall forward and get the
batteries in the "extended fuel tank box" that would result.  Adding wood
weight, but removing the weight of the doubled nylon mounts, fewer bolts.
Might come out even. (and can be done to this model relatively easilly)
Would let me get rid of a loop of wire that may be causing RF issues too...
(most important reason to do it)  My battery access would still require cowl
removal (bad) but the cowl should slide on and off more easilly.

Nothing tried so far has worked to get it to pass another range check...
removed the steel pull-pulls last night.