[NSRCA-discussion] Wing tube phenolic repair "help"

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Fri Aug 11 07:32:16 AKDT 2006

Hi Verne, Hi Anthony,
I had to do such a fix maybe 14 years back on a Desire 120.
The foam started to tear away from the tube, just as you describe.
I poked a 3/4" diameter hole in both sides of the wing just inboard of the end of the tube.
Then I took a piece of broomstick, sanded a concave to mate to the tube, and carved and sanded the other end to be flush to the top of the sheeting.
They went in with epoxy.
Then a pair of 6" long, by 1-1/2" wide 1/32" plywood scabs were glued to the outside of the sheeting like ribs.
That way, the tube was supported by a 6" wide swath of sheeting, top and bottom, with the load transferred by the broomstick columns.
I covered the scabs before gluing, and because I wasn't bashful, I covered them bright yellow which was not present anywhere else on the plane.
I think it was '92.
Dean

Dean Pappas
Sr. Design Engineer