[NSRCA-discussion] Help with my Quest 2 landing gear!

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.com
Wed Aug 9 20:00:59 AKDT 2006

The Ultra RC "ICE POINT" landing gear is a bit stronger than the Quests.
Raises the plane's nose a little because the gear is maybe 1 inch longer and
about 1.5 inch wider track.  Its still Fiberglass... but it will last longer
than the original.

I have 2 Quests... One powered with a .91 OS FX.  The other my e-conversion.
The first is the original Quest, the second is the G2.  The original gear
for both are the same.  Wing from one fits the other.

I found that by mounting the gear diferently I wasn't creating stress points
at the bolts. (drilling the glass weakens it...)  I put alignment guide
blocks in, and trap the gear with straps.  At frst I used popsicle sticks!
(they broke about every 4 flights, but they were cheap and easy to replace)

The alignment blocks and the strap mounting cause me to move the gear
forward appx 3.8 inch (so I could get bolts for the straps behind the
landing gear... something about the former at the LE of the wing being in
the way ;) )

I recommend going with either the original, or Ice Point landing gear.
don't drill them, strap them in.  If the strap can allow the gear to shift a
little under heavy loads it will help prevent breaking the gear.... but its
not necessary.  Just don't create the stress points by drilling the things
and bolting them in.

You can crack the drilled landing gear just by overtightening the bolts
holding them in...