[NSRCA-discussion] FIRST AID KIT

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.com
Wed Aug 9 19:46:11 AKDT 2006

ACE bandages are elastic wraps to put over a bandage or ice pack or such to hold it on.

If used correctly, they are an asset.  If used improperly, they can cause problems.  People have a tendancy to apply then with too much stretch, which causes the issue I believe Scott is worried about.  It can darn near become a tournequet. (restricting blood flow excessively can promote a lot of different problems)

In an emergency situation... if you have nothing else... paper towels and rubber bands can help.  But again... you can stretch a rubber band too tight and cause problems due to the blood flow restriction.  If you can get the person to the ER within a few min though... whatever you do to stop severe bleeding is probably going to do more help than harm.