[NSRCA-discussion] Electric/Glow Pros and Cons

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.com
Wed Aug 9 11:19:38 AKDT 2006

The way the brushless motors are made.... corrosion is the biggest issue for
the motor itself.  They should work submerged in a bucket of water.

The ESC would need to be kept dry.  Water getting under the heat shrink
could cause it to short.  First effect I would expect is confusing the
programming's sensing of the motor rpm, blowing the synchronization (shuts
down the motor.)

The batteries should be reasonably resistant to a little rain.  Don't want
to get them wet enough to cause a short though.  Depends on if they used
good insulating materials in the pack... or like has been found in some...
paper based masking tape.  The masking tape plus water and you may as well
have a low value resistor.

Overall... if the average modeler is willing to stand in the weather (rain,
snow, sleet....) the model can probably handle it with little or no added
protection.