[NSRCA-discussion] Electric/Glow Pros and Cons

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.com
Wed Aug 9 10:03:01 AKDT 2006

LiPos are a bit wierd... they allow best current flow at a specific temp
(forgot the temp... appx 120 F)  But at appx 140F they begin degrading.  Hit
160 and they will puff for sure.

The optimal temp allows maximum current without damaging the cells.... both
charging and discharging.  But... passing current through the battery still
heats them... so the ones keeping them hot for the charge do have a point,
but they have to really play games to keep the batteries the correct temp.

Safer to just operate at a less stressful current and keep the temps down...
But power to weight wins.

Also, getting the desired power from the electric models (for higher level
Pattern sequences) within the 11 lb limit is tricky.

For example the way I converted my Quest to electric is 3 lbs lighter than
what was recommended... I'm running right at 800 watts and a little over 8
lbs.  Flys well (for Sportsman level) with this setup...  The recommended
conversion turns out (someone else did one) 11 lbs 6 oz and 2200 watts.
Well.. that 6 oz would keep it out of Pattern competition (according to the
rules... never seen a plane weighed, or heard of em being weighed except at
the NATS)  But there's no GOOD conversion that has been done for this
particular plane between those weights!  You increase the motor size and add
that weight... you HAVE to increase the battery cell count and capacity to
have the power to perform the full Pattern sequence.  By the time it flys
right again, with enough durration... you're over 11 lbs.  The higher power
conversion will do the Inermediate and Advanced routines with ease... (If it
only weighed a little less... It would be a great way to go for
Intermediate.)

If you used the hot battery trick... you could probably shave those extra
ounces (less battery capacity, running at higher C and discharging closer to
100% drained) and meet the weight....  But if you goof up doing hot
batteries... you damage the packs quickly.

NiCd/NiMh can withstand somewhat higher temps before they vent or burst...
but overtemp will destroy any battery.